Round Bolster Pillow – a stylish decor for the living room and a comfortable product for sleeping
Bulky feather pillows are slowly turning into rarities. Products with modern hypoallergenic fillers are becoming popular. The fashion trend has become a round bolster pillow.
Varieties of bolster pillows
Of the variety of pillows, it is the bolster pillows that are distinguished by comfort and a non-standard shape. Thanks to its cylindrical appearance, the semi-roll serves as an excellent support for the back, neck and stylishly complements the interior.
It is easiest to emphasize the style solution and give the room an original look with medium-sized accessories. It is pillows that bring the atmosphere of coziness into the room and allow you to comfortably sit on the sofa or in the armchair.
Fillers for products under the head can be different. When choosing items, the material and decor of pillowcases is crucial. Sew covers of linen, silk, tapestry, velvet, denim and even leather or knitted fabric.
Most often, decorative cushions decorate the soft corner of the living room. However, the various sizes of products allow you to choose pillows for a chair, garden bench, balcony, bedroom. A small soft bolster pillow will come in handy on a small corner sofa in the kitchen. In this case, the accessory should be combined with kitchen textiles (curtains, napkins, tablecloths).
Light bolster pillows will perfectly decorate children’s rooms. Kids will enjoy playing with pencil-shaped pillows. Covers are made of natural fabrics in cheerful colors. It is not recommended to choose products with decor in the form of brushes, hanging cords or beads.
Instead of a pillow, the round bolster pillow is not just a tribute to fashion. Such products have a number of advantages:
• the body during sleep acquires the correct position;
• eliminates the deflection of the spine in the thoracic region;
• the neck receives additional support;
• a small pillow can be placed under the lower back to relax the muscles of the back or just keep it at the head of the bed.
The side pose is most comfortable for resting on the round pillow. And therefore, it is believed that to select a suitable product, it is enough to measure the distance from the shoulder to the base of the neck (usually 10 or 14 cm). However, experts recommend paying attention to a few more points:
• the width of the pillow should be 5-7 cm greater than the width of the shoulders. Firms also produce products with a special orthopedic shape intended for patients with osteochondrosis. The width of such rollers may be slightly smaller;
• fashion trend – a roll under the head for sleeping with the effect of “memory”. Or pillows with perforation, due to which air ventilation is provided.
When choosing a bolster pillow under the neck, you should not focus solely on its parameters. Other factors are also important: how the pillow is stuffed, the weight of a person and favorite postures in a dream, the softness of the mattress.
Materials and fillers
Traditional fluff and feather replace other natural and artificial materials:
• polyurethane foam (memorix) – an artificial expensive filler that does not attract dust and ticks. Therefore, such models are suitable for people suffering from allergies. Pillows spring perfectly: they take on the shape of a head, but after sleep, the surface of the roller is leveled. Of the minuses, we can note the loss of elasticity over time, hygroscopicity. High-quality cleaning of things can only be guaranteed by dry cleaning;
• polyester – the pillow is filled with special small balls. It is an inexpensive, lightweight, hypoallergenic material that does not absorb odors, retains heat well and is easy to clean. Cons: does not have orthopedic qualities, quickly falls off and does not last long;
• latex – an expensive natural filler (rubber), showing high orthopedic qualities. Of the advantages, one can note a long service life, antibacterial qualities, hypoallergenicity, elasticity;
• buckwheat husk – a natural filler that has a healing, healing effect. The material exhibits hypoallergenic qualities and therefore is especially suitable for people suffering from bronchial asthma. When choosing, it should be borne in mind that the roller is hygroscopic and differs in some rigidity.
To sew a cover and pillowcases, various synthetic and natural fabrics are used. The pillowcases with natural filling are sewn from teak, which is durable and pleasant to the touch. Covers for bolster pillows with synthetic fillers are made of polyester, satin, calico.
The choice of fabrics for decorative products is more diverse and is determined not only by the cost of the material, but also by the style of the interior. A room with classic notes will be decorated with pillows with satin, velvet pillowcases. For rooms in a rural style (Provence, country), products with colorful pillowcases or a strip are suitable.
Cushion roll design
Before choosing an accessory for sleep, you need to remember some points. Designers are trying to solve several problems: to emphasize the style of the interior, to highlight the bright accents of the atmosphere, to unite a group of accessories.
The subtle mood of the design style is created by discreet or spectacular accessories. Small carpets, original vases, comfortable sofa cushions are the final touches that decorate the room and determine its style. Oriental flavor of the setting will give bolster pillows with tassels. For minimalist interiors, leather goods are suitable. Faux fur will seamlessly fit into the design with African notes. Velvet cushions are suitable for the Empire style.
The pillow decor will also decorate the interior and refresh it. Bead or silk embroidery, lace, twisted cords and brushes will give the bolster pillow a non-standard and glamorous look. The advantage of pillows – decorative covers are easy to change.
So that the accents in the interior do not seem fragmented or alien, things of the same shades or patterns are selected: vases with an ornament (like on covers), figurines decorated with beads. Small bright masterpieces can be created with your own hands.
Bright bolster pillows – a great opportunity to “link” disparate elements of the situation. In a classic interior, a pillow with olive-sand stripes harmoniously combines a sofa with olive upholstery and sand-colored armchairs. To make it comfortable to rest with such a pillow, choose light and soft medium-sized products. For convenient use, removable covers made of smooth fabrics, fastened with a zipper.
How to sew a round bolster pillow
A universal pillow for a comfortable stay and interior decoration is easy to create on your own. First of all, the type of cover (candy, cylinder) is selected and how it will be fastened (zipper, screed, velcro, buttons). It is not necessary to select special patterns for the pillow-bolster, it is important to simply determine the parameters of the product (diameter, length). For work you will need: material for a bedcloth and a decorative cover, accessories and decorative elements, a sheet of foam rubber. Phased process:
- A strip of foam is twisted into a tight bundle and stitched with any seam so firmly that the cylinder does not unwind. When working, it must be borne in mind that foam rubber is easily torn, so the stitches are made long and deep (if possible).
- The length and radius of the cylinder are measured and its diameter is calculated. A rectangle of appropriate sizes is drawn on the fabric. Moreover, doubled radius is added to the length of the cylinder. On allowances lay 2 cm on the long side and 1 cm on the short side.
- The wings are stitched along the two short sides (the fabric is turned inside out). The workpiece is sewn along the long side (from the inside).
- Decorative laces are threaded into the wings, the cover is turned on the front side and put on the foam cylinder.
- The laces are tightened and tied with a decorative bow.
If you want to use buckwheat, then you must first sew a “napnik”. A fixed pillowcase with round sides is sewn from dense material. The workpiece is stuffed with filler, forming a solid cylinder, and sutured “tightly”. The decorative cover is sewn from any fabric and can be fastened with a button, zipper or Velcro.
It’s easy to make a candy pillow. There are several options for creating a swirl wrapper effect. The easiest way is to make the workpiece longer than 7-8 cm and draw a drawstring, departing from the edge also by 7-8 cm. A beautiful idea is to decorate the cover with lace. To do this, lace tape is sewn along the edge of the drawstring. Lace will be beautifully assembled when tightened.